|Other Name(s):|| Yaboku (true name)|
Amagiri no Mikoto (by Heaven)
Yatty (by Kofuku)
Jersey/Tracksuit/Drippy (by Yukine and Hiyori)
|Age:||1000+ (roughly 1050)|
|Occupation:|| God of War|
God of Calamity (former)
|Relative(s):|| Fujisaki Kouto (“father”) |
|Manga Debut:||People Who Wear Sportswear|
|Anime Debut:||A Housecat, A Stray God, and a Tail|
|Japanese Voice:||Hiroshi Kamiya|
|English Voice:||Jason Liebrecht|
Yato (夜ト, Yatō) is one of the three protagonists of the series. He considers himself a God of Fortune / Happiness and War, although he has been labeled a God of Calamity and Depression in the past. His dream is to become a famous god, whom everyone worships.
Yato appears to be an extremely handsome young man whose height is 174cm (5"8), having an apperance to be anywhere from eighteen to early twenties. He has sharp blue eyes and dark purple hair in the manga, though it appears to be dark blue with purple streaks in the anime. His eyes change depending on the emotions he feels - typically, when he is serious or angry they are slit and reminiscent of a cat.
Yato is often seen wearing a weird navy tracksuit that has a small golden crown on the right side, a pair of brown leather boots that go over his tracksuit, and a faded blue scarf (nicknamed 'fluffy fluff scarf' by Yato himself) with tears along with it around his neck. It has, however, been speculated by fans that his scarf is actually a towel.
In flashbacks of him "being" Yaboku, he is seen with a mini ponytail wearing a man's kimono.
Yato can be mischievous, crude and unpredictable on his behaviour. He sometimes has a low tolerance on something he wants, which usually causes those around him to become upset. Furthermore, he is rather childish and gullible at times. Yato will often indulge in fantasies of himself being a very successful God with more followers than any other God, shrines full of luxury, and lots of shrine maidens at his fingertips. He seems to have athazagoraphobia which is the fear of being forgotten, ignored, or replaced, probably because he would dissapear in that case.
Yato is very materialistic when it comes to money, claiming to Hiyori that he will definitely do her job request because he intends to keep her money and holds his bottle full of coins of 5 Yens - the traditional offering for shrines. He tends to spend his money on drinking,
gambling and buying good luck trinkets, to the point where he has even stolen money from his Shinkis. When he opted to use his money to make Hiyori happy on Capypaland, Yukine was so happy because his master was using his money to make someone else happy that he shed tears, causing her to pity him.
Despite his aloof and often idiotic personality, Yato is a God who can be quite wise and very serious when the situation requires it. Believing his father's words, Yato thinks gods can do whatever they want, but he currently believes it is because their decision - mostly helped by others - would be the right one. He has a very low tolerance for weak-spirited people and has tittle motivation to help people who wants to commit suicide, mostly because Shinki didn't experience a fully human life and died from an accident, often killing them in a young state.
There are times when Yato appears very mysterious, for instance when he meets with Nora and gives incomplete answers or do questionable actions, including telling Yukine that he kill an entire clan of Shinki "Because he wanted to" instead of doing it to help other god in Kazuma's request. He refused to tell his true name and past even to his closest friends, fearing they would hate him, especially since he is a god that is easily forgotten by others and has always been abandoned because he is a God of Calamity. This caused some strain on his relationship with Yukine since he at times felt inferior to Nora, though Yato alleviates these fears when he releases Nora and tells Yukine to be his guidepost and light the way for him.
In the past, Yato's nature was extremely ruthless and cruel, thinking that killing was a game to satisfy his father and enjoy with his sister. However, his personality seems to have altered to a more optimistic standard through Sakura's influence on showing him the beauty of humanity and the world. He became more reluctant to murder, regretting being involved on killing jobs (usually other murderers or sinful people - which makes him "a necessary evil") tasked by his father and wants to cut himself off from killing people in the present. Still, Yato can be a cruel and merciless person, showing a great loyalty towards those he loves and cares for. He was angered when Hiyori was kidnapped, to the point where he challenged Bishamon when he believed she was the responsable and become devastated when Yukine sacrificed himself to save him. His father revealed that Yato is a "God of Depression," meaning that Yato only knows how to steal and not to give, so that those people around him will suffer terribly. This is strongly implied by Kofuku, who learnt about her future friend from rumors that he once killed several humans, though according to Daikoku, this happened a long time ago when the rule was "kill or be killed". These actions might have been motivated by his need to at least exist in people's memories.
Yato's greatest wish is to simply be beside Yukine and Hiyori, but understands that his Father will do whatever he can to prevent that. This shows that his true desire may not simply be in being remembered, but also to be with the ones he loves and to make them happy. According to other gods such as Tenjin, he is too forgiving, enduring to be blighted for his beloved ones if that means they will be fine. Yato cried during the death of Ebisu, who acknowledged him as a God capable of making others happy and inspired him on becoming a God of Fortune, and apologized sincerely to the reincarnated Ebisu despite he said that Yato did nothing wrong. According to Hiyori, his father's lifeline and goals are like a chain around his neck, hurting him to the point that he wanted to change for other people's sakes. Hiyori's faith on his adaption and Yukine's wish for not kill are main reasons for Yato's current goals.
Skills & AbilitiesEdit
- Master Swordsman: Since he is a God of War, Yato is very skilled in the art of combat, such as swordsmanship and spearmanship.This is clearly proven when he won a fight against Takemikazuchi, who is known for his amazing skills in combat. According to Rabō, he used to be even much stronger in the past.
- Severance (Zetsu): Using his Shinki, Yato has the ability to sever the ties of people, be it with other humans, gods, or specific memories in general. It has been implied that he specializes in this ability.
- Rend (Zan): Using his Shinki, Yato is able to use this ability to exorcise and destroy Ayakashis. This ability is first seen when Yato uses Tomone to destroy the Ayakashi outside Mutsumi's school.
- Teleportation: Yato is able to teleport to any location he has an active connection to. If he is currently on the phone with someone, he is able to teleport to the caller's location. This ability is used by Yato in order to get from job to job more quickly. Once he has his own shrine, his shrine's connection to Heaven allows him to teleport there freely.
- Divine Possession: Yato is capable of controlling a human body by temporarily substituting/taking over the soul. As possession is performed one could catch sight of two visual notable changes: the possessed person will have little golden crown sitting on his/her head and Yato's eyes.
|Human Name||Weapon Name||Status||Form|
|Hiiro||Hi||Hiiro||Hiki||Released||Katana with a wooden hilt, the blade of which can turn into water|
Katana with bandages.
As a Blessed Regalia, a hilt Katana and wakizashi set with bandages as hilt.
A divine garment shaped as a tracksuit that differs slightly from his original attire, a long scarf around his neck, boots, and pair of gloves. A katana shaped shinki that can transform into bow and arrow when the katana and its scabbard are combined together.
- Unnamed male Shinki (status unclear), seen in a flashback in God of Calamity.
- Unnamed Shinki (status unclear), mentioned in chapter 63.5.
- It is revealed that Yato's real name is actually Yaboku (夜卜) Yaboku contains the kanji ya (夜 night) and boku (卜 divination). Sakura mistakenly read 卜 as the katakana ト to because of the similarities, thus giving the well-known alias name Yato.
- After saving Bishamon, Yato is known in Heaven as "Amagiri no Mikoto", which means "He who rends Heaven".
- His exact age is unknown, however historical references in flashback chapters date the earliest ones to the Heian era, which would make Yato at least 1000 years old. It can be assumed based on interpreting panels from chapter 46 that he was “born” around the 960s which would make him roughly 1,050 give or take a few decades. In a joke comic featuring the story of how he met Mayu, he states that he is around Tenjin’s age.
- Yato's expressions and portrayal often mimic that of a cat.
- Yato has rather sweaty hands, as both Tomone/Mayu and Yukine have complained about how sweaty his hands are. He is shown to be rather sensitive about this topic.
- Yato is shown to be a skilled tailor in both Shuuishuu and the main continuity. In Shuuishuu he gives Yukine a hand-made sweater and gives Hiyori a hand-made wedding dress. In the main series, he works a loom to make formal attire for both himself and Yukine for Kamuhakari.
- Furthermore, he has shown talent as an artist. This seems to be true in the manga, considering he did sell doujinshi in the past and was shown drawing a fairly accurate picture of Hiyori in chapter 53, albeit with wings and naked.
- He is shown cross-dressing in chapters 48 and 52.
- His English theme song is "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds.
- His character song is Tsukiyo no Fune.