Nora appears to be a very petite young woman with straight chin-length black hair and has deep purple eyes. She also wears a hitaikakushi and pale-colored lipstick.
She is most commonly seen wearing a white robe with a red and gold sash. The robe is worn similarly to a shinishozuku indicating that she's not a living person. She wears sandals on her feet along with white split-toed socks. Additionally, her person is adorned with the kanji representing the names given to her by her many masters.
In chapter 77 All of Nora's names are gone. She claims this is because she begged her masters to release her; after Father released her. This is later revealed to be a lie, as she used a spell to conceal her names in order to gain Yukine's trust.
Her "true" form is actually a skeletal mermaid. However, after confronting Hiyori and realizing she genuinely cares about her; Nora sheds this form and vanishes.
Nora, at first comes off as very gentle and kind. She seems to care deeply for Yato, and continually prompts him to use her, because she was once a human and all she wanted was to have a family that cared about her. That however did make her greedy enough that she turned to violence.
Later, it is revealed how manipulating and cruel she is. She tries to kill Yukine, as well as taunt him, due to the fact that he was impure, but also because she wants Yato to use her instead of him. She also tries to kill Hiyori due to how close she has gotten to Yato and believing she has softened him. She is depicted to show interest in anything with beauty, as shown when she commented on Yukine's eyes. She, just as Yato, is influenced and controlled by the actions and demands of "Father," whom we later find out is Fujisaki Kouto. Although she is initially seen as a villain, she is another puppet in the grand scheme of Yato's father.
As a child who died before she was born, she knows neither good nor evil.
As a Stray, Nora has multiple owners and thus, multiple names. She also takes on different forms when different masters summon her.
- As "Father's" shinki (former), her name is Mizuchi (螭, a mythological aquatic monster which resembles a hornless dragon), her weapon name is Chiki (螭器). Her weapon form is a shakujō.
- As Yato's shinki (former), her name was Hiiro (緋, meaning "scarlet") and her weapon name was Hiki (緋器). She used to become a water-transforming chokutō with the wooden hilt. Yato only called her Hiiro when they were working together, and called her Nora when they aren't. Rabō also called her Hiiro once at the end of Episode 7 of the anime.
- As Ebisu's shinki, her name is Tsutsu (筒, meaning "gun barrel"), her human name is Tsutsumi (筒弥) and her weapon name is Touki (筒器). She becomes a pistol. This name only appears in the manga.
- As Takemikazuchi's shinki, her name is Eyami (疫, meaning "plague"). Any further information regarding this form of Nora's is yet to be revealed.
- As Rabō's shinki, her name is Furu (零, meaning "zero"), her human name is Furuhime (零姫) and her weapon name is Reiki (零器). Her weapon form is a samurai sword with decorative red hilt and sheath. This name only appears in the anime.
- Other than the above names, kanji characters that can be recognized (or close to those shown in the manga) are 臣 (omi/shin, meaning "retainer"), 規 (nori/ki, meaning "standard"), 介 (yuki/kai, meaning "shellfish"), 合 (an/gou, meaning "join"), and 杞 (yagi/kou, meaning "willow").
Abilities and Skills
As a shinki, Nora is known to have various skills and special abilities:
- Water-transforming (manga) / Water-based attacks (anime): This is a special ability only attainable as Yato’s weapon Hiki. She is able to transform her blade into the water to become Yato’s shield or impact absorber or splashes some on Yato’s face when needed. This ability is shown in the manga many times during a mission to save Ebisu in the underworld. In the anime, however, this ability is also used by Rabō’s weapon Furuhime/Reiki, and changed from water-transforming blade to water-based attacks. The common cue to her appearance is the sound of a water drop.
- Shape-shifting: This is a special ability only attainable as a Stray. When her names are called, Nora can change her weapon forms from one into another and shifts her position from one owner to another, as long as her owners are near her. This ability is shown in Chapter 32 during the fight between Yato and Ebisu. Nora's ability to retain her human form is also an extension of this; her "true" form is that of an Ayakashi-esque mermaid. While not an Ayakashi outright; Yato explains this form is very similar - which is how she retained her human form and sanity after learning God's Greatest Secret.
- Boundary: This is the basic skill of a shinki. In episode 5 of the anime, Yato implied that Nora could use Boundary, although her Boundary was not as strong as Yukine’s. She can only use this skill in her human form.
- Restraint: In the manga, Nora is yet to use this skill, but in the anime, she used it in episode 6 to stop Kinki from biting Yato. She can only use this skill in her human form.
- Controlling : She is one of the few entities that are able to control masked phantoms. She used wolf-like masked phantoms to attack Hiyori in chapter 9 of the manga, and episode 10 in the anime. In chapter 27 of the manga, she also used these masked phantoms to kidnap Yato. She uses this skill in her human form.
- Zan / Rend: This ability is only attainable as Yato’s weapon Hiki. When Yato uses Zan, she is able to cut anything and everything. This skill is only used in the manga and is shown in the anime as flashbacks, albeit never named. In the anime, it is known that she can also do the same as Rabō’s weapon Reiki, although the skill was never named. It is however unknown whether she is able to perform Yato’s other skill, Zetsu / Sunder.
- Memory Fragmentation: Nora is seen to have the ability to take people's memories and morph it into the form of a small jewel-like fragment. This ability is only shown in the anime in episode 10 to take Hiyori's memories of Yato and gradually, of Yukine. She uses this ability in her human form.
Nora died before she was born. Despite being tainted by an ayakashi as a soul, Father was able to name her Mizuchi with the Koto no Ha. Soon after, she was introduced to Yato and was given the name Hiiro.
From then on, she develops a close bond with Yato. As children, they play by tormenting people. Often collecting the ears of the people they murdered as a gift to Father.
At some point in time, she learns about 'The God's Greatest Secret'. She reveals this to Sakura, prompting Sakura to become curious of her own past life.
At some point, she started to serve other masters besides Father and Yato. Yato stated that it was his fault that Nora became a stray.
She participated in the massacre of the Bishamonten's former shinkis, the 'Ma clan', as Yato's shinki.
Prior to the start of the series, Nora had been working for other gods such as Takemikazuchi, because Yato hadn’t been summoning her.
- It is once assumed that the title Noragami referred to her status as a Stray; although it actually referred to Yato and his stray-like life as a lesser-known god.
- Nora is something of a sister to Yato.
- Nora is not actually a name. Every shinki with more than one name (consequently, more than one master) is a nora. Yato uses the term "Nora", or "Stray" in the English translated manga, to refer to her in order to avoid calling the name he had given her way back in their childhood (Hiiro).
- Due to being a stray—a shinki which is considered dishonorable for a god to have—Nora's "owners" do not give her a compound given name to include her in their respective "shinki clans".
- An exception to this is Ebisu, who includes Nora in his "-mi" (弥) clan as Tsutsumi, most probably due to the fact that he sees the use of strays as an acceptable practice and owns quite a few of them.
- As Tsutsumi, she can transform into a pistol, which looks similar to a Luger, which saw extensive use during the WWI and WWII by the German forces.
- The character for the name Eyami (疫)—Nora's name as Takemikazuchi's shinki—can be seen on her left forearm as early as her first appearance in the series.
- Nora calls herself a “Mizuko” (水子) which is a catch-all term for a baby that dies either before or shortly after birth for any reason, whether it be miscarriage, stillbirth, abortion, or birth defect.