Mitama (みたま) is one of Amaterasu's Three Sacred Treasures.
Mitama has lightly colored hair that is parted in the middle and cut into a straight bob. She has one dark eye and one pale eye, like the other two Treasures. She is wearing the attire of a female Shinto priest, including a nukaate (
Mitama is loyal to Amaterasu and Heaven. She is capable to remaining calm and stoic even while awaiting judgement during the covenant ritual.
- Historically, the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan were symbols of the emperor's divine right to rule over Japan. The three items are a jewel, a mirror, and a sword. Mitama represents the jewel, as tama (
玉) can refer to a spherical gem. The other Sacred Treasures used by Amaterasu, Mikagami and Mitsurugi, represent the mirror and the sword, respectively.
- The full name of the historical and mythological Treasure is Yasakani no Magatama (
八尺瓊勾玉). A magatama ( 勾玉) is a curved jewel resembling a comma with a hole in the middle.
- Mikagami as one of the Three Sacred Treasures can reincarnate, but in a different way from the gods.
- The names of the Three Sacred Treasures, Mitama included, are written using hiragana. This sets them apart from other shinki in the series, whose names are written using kanji only.
- Japanese Buddhist Statuary: Magatama