Ayu (歩喩) is one of Tenjin's current shinki. She's part of a group of four female shinki who present themselves as "The Tenjin Sisters" (now consisting of only three members).
Ayu is, like most of Tenjin's shinki, a young woman. She has long, straight auburn hair tied in a high ponytail, with some short locks resting on her forehead and two thin long ones on both sides of her face. Her eyes are a shade of dark blue similar to indigo.
Ayu is dressed in a white kimono with a red hakama over it - the common set of clothing for shrine maidens worn by Tenjin's other female shinki, as well as Tsuyu.
Some time later, when Daikoku visits various shrines to find a shinki who would agree to take part in Yukine's purification ceremony, Ayu is once again seen along with the other "Tenjin Sisters", expressing unease over the possible consequences of a failed ceremony.
After Miyu blights Tenjin as she attemps cutting he wrist, Ayu takes part in performing a purification ceremony on her before her banishment.
- The character used for Ayu's true name, 歩 (chosen reading unknown), means "a step" or "to walk".
- The character added for her given name, 喩 yu, means "metaphor".
- Ayu's shinki form and alternative names as Tenjin's shinki have not been revealed.
- Possible "true" name readings could be aruku, ayumu, aruki or ayumi.
- Her most probable vessel name reading is 歩器 hoki. Other less likely readings are buki and fuki.